Friday, February 13, 2009

Feb. 13 -- HOWARD GETS DEFENSIVE (W/AUDIO)

BY SCOTT LAUBER

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- Ryan Howard has been in the Tampa area since Jan. 5, training at the exclusive Saddlebrook Resort. He said he's shed about 20 pounds. I don't have pictures to prove it, but take my word, Howard looks svelte.

Even his pal, Subway pitchman Jared Fogle, is proud.

"Jared, my boy, shout out," Howard said. "I got to see him down here during the Super Bowl. He was complimenting me a little bit."

Howard also is relieved to have a three-year, $54 million contract extension. It's the first time Howard has agreed to a multiyear deal. Asked what the difference was between last year's negotiation and this year's, Howard smiled and said, "We were able to agree."

"I was always open to a multiyear deal," he continued. "It's just a matter of getting to that point or getting to some type of agreeance. I've always been open to that."

For the past few weeks, Howard has been working with new third-base coach Sam Perlozzo on his often-maligned defense. Howard led major-league first basemen with 19 errors last season and is widely considered a future DH. Mostly, he said he is working on his footwork and positioning.

"As far as my defense is concerned, I know a lot of people have a concern about it," Howard said. "But I've been down here working hard on it. Working with Sam, he's taught me some things that have clicked a little better that I've been able to add to the repertoire."

Asked if he's concerned about his defense, Howard said, "Not really. It's something I've always focused on getting better. Everyone has their outside opinion or whatever, but I'm not really concerned. I'm feeling confident with the way I've been working with Sam that my defense will be better."

Howard also addressed the recent Alex Rodriguez steroid scandal. We'll get into this more later and in The News Journal, but you can listen to Howard's thoughts by clicking here:
DW_B0299.mp3

No comments: