Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Feb. 17 -- IBANEZ ON A-ROD: 'HE DIDN'T NEED IT' (PLUS, VIDEO)

BY SCOTT LAUBER

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- It was a pretty quiet day here at Bright House Field, but 20 miles away in Tampa, the Alex Rodriguez circus was taking place in Yankees camp. When A-Rod's press conference was over, I walked into the Phillies' clubhouse. And although almost every player was gone, Raul Ibanez was still there. Ibanez and A-Rod came up together in the Mariners' organization and called this a "sad day" for baseball. He also said A-Rod was so talented that never needed to use steroids.

"He was the most talented 18-year-old I've ever seen, still to this day," Ibanez said. "The first time I saw him swing a bat in the cage, I told people, 'I think that guy is going to be the next Juan Gonzalez,' and I've since apologized. Juan Gonzalez was a great player, but this guy is on another level."

With that, we give you today's video.

No comments: