Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Feb. 24 -- BURRELL WILL PLAY SATURDAY (UPDATED)

BY SCOTT LAUBER

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- News from down the road in Port Charlotte: Pat Burrell will play Saturday when the Rays visit Bright House Field.

"[Manager Joe Maddon] asked me if I want to go, and I said, 'Sure, I'd like to go,' for just no other reason than the obvious," Burrell told the Rays' Web site. "I don't want to make more of it than it is. ... Who knows what kind of reception [he'll receive from Phillies fans] and all that other stuff. We'll see. I'm looking forward to it. It's a game. You can't hide the fact you've got some relationships with some people. And it's good to see guys, that's the way I'm looking at it."

Burrell likely will be the Rays' DH Saturday. In early spring-training games, the DH is in effect, even in National League teams' ballparks.

(Updated, 6:17 p.m.): Shane Victorino wasn't named to the U.S. team for the World Baseball Classic. Victorino got a hearty endorsement from Team USA coach Mike Schmidt, but manager Davey Johnson picked only four outfielders (Ryan Braun, Curtis Granderson, Brad Hawpe and Grady Sizemore). Somehow, I don't think Victorino will mind. Every time I've asked him about the possibility of playing for Team USA, he hasn't seemed overly enthusiastic. I think he'd rather stay in camp with the Phils.

No comments: