Friday, October 05, 2007

Oct. 5 -- GAME 2 WRAP: SEASON ON BRINK

So, I was walking out of the Bank last night when a security guard said to me, "See you Tuesday."

Um, I wouldn't count on it.

With yesterday's 10-5 loss to the Rockies, the Phillies fell behind 2-0 in the best-of-five NL Division Series. Crunched some numbers after the game, and it turns out, since Division Series play started in 1995, 28 teams have slid into a 2-0 hole. Only four have recovered to win the series, and only one (the 2001 Yankees) have done so after losing the first two games at home.

It's not looking good.

I've got to catch a 6:27 a.m. flight to Denver, so I need to get a few hours of sleep. For now, though, I'll leave you with two questions:

1. Did Charlie Manuel pull Kyle Kendrick too soon yesterday? If not, should he have brought in Kyle Lohse, a natural starter, with the bases loaded in the fourth inning?

2. Are the Phillies finished?

Talk amongst yourself. I'll check in later today, either from the airport or from Coors Field (the Phillies are scheduled to work out at 3 p.m., Eastern time).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't blame him or pulling Kendrick, the kid was getting nobody out and they were hitting him pretty good. And if Manuel leave s him in there and Matsui hits a bomb off of him then all the papers and radio heads say that they should have took him out early. It's a no win situation. As for the rest of the series, this team plays better with it's back to the wall, who knows... I wouldn't be surprised if they won the next two.

Scott, what was the mood like in the clubhouse last night?