Wednesday, June 10, 2009

June 10 -- LIDGE: CELEBRATION DID NOT CAUSE INJURY

BY SCOTT LAUBER

NEW YORK -- So, earlier today, I held my weekly live chat about the Phillies at www.delawareonline.com. At one point, Dom I., one of our loyal readers, asked if there was any chance Brad Lidge injured his right knee during the celebratory pile on the mound after Game 5 of the World Series last October. After all, Lidge did tell his hometown Rocky Mountain News several months ago (back when the Rocky Mountain News was still in business), "All of a sudden, I felt like my knee did something weird. So after about five, 10 seconds at the bottom of the pile, I was like, 'All right, get up.' Like the joy was over, and my knee felt it was about to give."

Well, Lidge rejoined the Phillies here today, and he was asked if he thought the celebration had anything to do with his injury.

Lidge laughed.

"Underneath that pile my knee definitely did feel like it was up around my head somehow," he said. "And for a couple seconds I was a little worried. But everybody got off. I walked it off afterward. I wouldn't be able to have worked out all winter and all spring training and not have felt it at all and all of a sudden have it come back if that's what happened. That's definitely not what caused this."

So, there you have it.


Lidge, by the way, is hoping to be able to resume throwing off a mound in about a week. He's hoping he needs to be on the disabled list for only 15 days.

1 comment:

KN said...

I watched the replay of the on-line chat. Instead of typing to each other (not many comments from others), why don't you just get together with levine and hurlock for coffee sometime?