Wednesday, June 17, 2009

June 17 -- FOR STARTERS, MANUEL WANTS A STARTER

BY SCOTT LAUBER

So, during our live chat today at www.delawareonline.com, some of you asked if the Phillies prefer to acquire a starter or a reliever before the July 31 trade deadline. Based on the conversations I've had with people close to the team, I offered my best guess (a starter). But what kind of beat writer would I be if I didn't take your question to Charlie Manuel before tonight's game.

Manuel's answer: Both.

"I think if we can get a starter and a bullpen piece, I think that makes us better," Manuel said. "Getting better is what counts. I don't want the same thing that we have. I want somebody that can help us."

And that's fine. Manuel's job depends on wins and losses, so he has a right to get greedy about his personnel. But, realistically, it's difficult to make one trade, as Ruben Amaro Jr. often reminds us. Making two is even tougher. So, if Manuel can only have one, I asked if he'd prefer a starter or a reliever.

"I'd say a starter," he said. "But what I'm talking about is a horse. I'm not talking about a guy who's just going to fill out our rotation."

Translation: Manuel wants a Jake Peavy (if he wasn't injured, of course) or a Roy Oswalt, not another No. 4 or 5 starter. Amaro has about six more weeks to find one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

" Manuel wants a Jake Peavy (if he wasn't injured, of course) or a Roy Oswalt"
But Peavy IS injoured and the supply of pitchers like Oswalt is very small. Bastardo has two few innings above AA, and we need help now!