Wednesday, June 24, 2009

June 24 -- DONALD DUCKS TRADE RUMORS

BY SCOTT LAUBER

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- One of the best things about being in the Tampa area this week is that we're close to the Phillies' training facility in Clearwater. In fact, my hotel (also known as the traveling headquarters of Philled In) is about 2 miles from Bright House Field and the Carpenter Complex. So, I went over there this morning to see what's what, and sure enough, ran into a few familiar faces, namely Jason Donald and Scott Mathieson.

Donald has been here for about a week, rehabbing from surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee. Chatted with him for a few minutes, and while I want to save some of this for the pages of The News Journal, I'll pass this along: Donald isn't sweating being the subject of trade rumors. In fact, he claims to be oblivious to the trade talk.

"I don't even pay attention to it," Donald said, laughing. "I really don't. If it's something that happens, it happens. Certainly, I want to be part of this organization, but I understand that there's a business side of it. The big club is going to do what they can to better themselves."

Surely, though, he must've heard about the Brad Penny rumor that circulated a few weeks ago.

"There were a couple people that mentioned it," Donald said. "It is what it is. It's a rumor. I never put much to it. I don't go on the Internet and look at that stuff. I don't read the papers. The only paper I read is USA Today. No offense."

(Hey, none taken. USA Today and The News Journal are owned by the same company.)

Mathieson, you'll recall, is the hard-luck pitcher who has undergone two Tommy John elbow surgeries in the past three years. He has been here, going through the long rehab process, for about 13 months, and tomorrow, he's scheduled to make his 2009 debut by pitching two innings of relief in the rookie-level Gulf Coast League.


More in a bit from the Trop.

No comments: