Thursday, March 13, 2008

Mar. 13 -- Day 29: BENSON UPDATE

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Promised you an update on Kris Benson, so here goes ...

He threw 57 pitches (38 strikes) and faced 15 batters in a Class A game against the Blue Jays. Benson allowed two runs on five hits, struck out four and walked one. His velocity consistently was in the mid- and upper-80s, and his command was pretty sharp. Most importantly, though, he said his surgically repaired right shoulder felt good.

So, what's next?

Benson said he's hoping his next start will be in a Grapefruit League game, but Charlie Manuel and Rich Dubee just said that won't happen. Benson will make at least one more minor-league start before getting into a major-league spring-training game. Regardless, it sounds reasonable that Benson could start a Grapefruit League game before March 25, when he can opt out of his contract. For now, he said he isn't thinking about doing anything of the sort.

"I don't see any reason why I would," he told us after today's start. "There's really no benefit for me to do it other than if there’s a bunch of pitchers that go down. But everybody needs starting pitching. If everybody works out great with the guys they have here, the last thing I want to be is an insurance policy for the team. I want to get out there and pitch. At the same time, I need to pace myself."

More from Benson in tomorrow's paper.

*
Tonight's lineup against the Reds here at The Big Ed (Ed Smith Stadium): SS Eric Bruntlett, CF Shane Victorino, 3B Pedro Feliz, DH Pat Burrell, 1B Wes Helms, RF So Taguchi, C Carlos Ruiz, LF Greg Golson, 2B Casey Smith.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Scott what are your thoughts on Golson. I haven't seen him play yet but he seems to be having a good spring so far. Don't know to much about him though. Is he a power hitter, leadoff man, what? From everything I have read it seems that he strikes out a lot. Thanks for the help.

Scott Lauber said...

Anon: Wow, you must've read my mind. I spoke to Golson yesterday and wrote a little story in today's paper about him. I'll chime in on Golson with a post later this morning. For now, here's the link to the story: http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080314/SPORTS01/803140354/1002/SPORTS

Chris said...

Scott great story on Golson. It really gets me excited about his potential. It seems like he starting to get it.
Let's all hope he puts it all together!

Anonymous said...

Scott extremely weird when I opened up the paper and there was an article on Golson. Thanks I appreciate it, nice article.