Monday, March 31, 2008

Mar. 31 -- OPENING-DAY PODCAST (IN-GAME UPDATES, TOO)

So, we've got a new feature on The Blog this season. Once a week, I'll sit down and tape a Phillies podcast with Camden Courier-Post beat writer Michael Radano and columnist Kevin Roberts. This morning, we talked about whether the Phillies' pitching will hold up throughout the season, gave our predictions for 2008 and more.

Click here to listen: R09_0001.mp3

*
(Update, 2:44 p.m.): Teams were just announced along the base-lines. Loudest cheer: Hard to say. Chris Coste got a big hand. So did Cole Hamels, whose first name was elongated by public-address announcer Dan Baker. Ryan Howard, Chase Utley, and of course, Jimmy Rollins got nice ovations. Loudest jeer: That's easy. The boobirds were out in force for Adam Eaton, who tipped his cap. At least Eaton has a sense of humor.

Almost time to play ball.

(Update, 4:52 p.m.): Sorry I've been away for a while. Transcribing some interviews from this morning. Anyway, as I'm sure you know Brett Myers was less than stellar. He allowed four runs (three earned), all in the fifth inning. The big blow came on Austin Kearns' two-out double, but Myers hurt himself by hitting Lastings Milledge to load the bases with one out and issuing a two-out walk to Nick Johnson. The Nats' rally was helped when Rollins booted a two-out grounder by Paul Lo Duca. In the sixth, Milledge bashed a two-run homer off reliever Ryan Madson, who doesn't fare well in opening days at Citizens Bank Park.

Other than Utley's homer in the sixth, the Phillies offense never really got going against lefty Matt Chico. Perhaps they'll get to the Nats' bullpen.

(Update, 5:13 p.m.): I don't want to say I told you so, but ... Rollins just belted a two-run, game-tying homer against Nats reliever Ray King. That came after Carlos Ruiz laced an RBI double off Joel Hanrahan, who issued a leadoff walk to Jayson Werth. 6-6, after seven innings.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gordon needs to announce his retirement immediately.

Anonymous said...

That was ugly.

Nick said...

That's great that you're going to do a podcast, but what is the feed address for it? You have this pretty picture of an RSS button with headphones, but dont provide the URL for it!

Scott Lauber said...

Nicholas: Are you able to click on the link or feed address posted (R09_0001.mp3) on the blog?

Nick said...

Scott,

Yes, I can access the mp3 file but it's not included in the feed (there is no enclosure tag). So I'm sort of forced to listen to in in my browser/newsreader, no?

I guess what I was assuming was that there would be a podcast-dedicated feed to put into iTunes since you didn't have an enclosure tag for the file in the blog RSS feed. With an enclosure tag or a podcast feed then I can subscribe to the audio podcast separately in iTunes. That's what makes it a podcast, I guess, and not just a link to a mp3 file.

I'm not saying you need to do this, just, for me at least, being able to subscribe in iTunes and then transfer to an iPod (or whatever system people use) makes it much more likely I'll listen to it. :)

Scott Lauber said...

Nicholas: OK, I see what you're saying. I'll definitely look into it before we post our audio file/podcast for next week.