Friday, March 14, 2008

Mar. 14 -- Day 30: LIDGE AND RAIN

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- Rain in the forecast, but it's not supposed to profoundly affect today's game. Meanwhile, it stayed clear long enough for Brad Lidge to throw 35 pitches to four batters (Pete Laforest, Brennan King, Ray Olmedo and Casey Smith) on a back field at the Complex. It marked the first time he threw to live batters since Feb. 23 when he aggravated his right knee.

"It definitely felt good," Lidge said. "I didn't feel my knee at all. It was good for me to face hitters, for sure. Most of my stuff felt good. Mechanically, I'm not totally happy. But that should come soon. The way the ball is coming out of my hand, my arm feels really good. I think I should be able to catch up real fast."

Next step: Lidge will throw another live batting practice session Monday. He could get into a game, Grapefruit League or otherwise, Wednesday or Thursday.

*

Today's lineup: SS Jimmy Rollins, CF Brandon Watson, 2B Chase Utley, 1B Ryan Howard, LF Pat Burrell, RF Geoff Jenkins, 3B Greg Dobbs, DH Chris Snelling, C Chris Coste.

(Update, 1 p.m.): We're in a rain delay, but the tarp is about to come off the field. Tim Hudson no longer starting for the Braves. Royce Ring, a reliever that I once covered with the double-A Binghamton Mets, will start in his place.

No comments: