Saturday, March 15, 2008

Mar. 15 -- THE DURBINATOR SPEAKS

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- Once again, Charlie Manuel was visibly peeved after another lopsided loss. But today, following an 11-2 pounding by the new-look Twins (no Torii Hunter, no Johan Santana, no problem), his ire was directed mostly at the pitchers who aren't taking advantage of an opportunity to win available jobs.

Foremost among them: J.D. Durbin.

Durbin, who once dubbed himself "The Real Deal" when he was a prospect with the Twins, was tagged for five runs on five hits and two walks in three innings. He allowed homers to Carlos Gomez and Jason Kubel, fell to 0-3 and raised his ERA to 10.95.

"The jobs are right there in front of them," Manuel said, not naming names. "If they don’t get them, that's their fault. There are chances for these guys, and when you go over and tell them, they act like [they] did good or something like that. Be realistic about some things. I’m tired hearing guys say they did something good when all you got to do is watch the game. If you've got any mirrors in your house go look at them."

To that, Durbin said this.

"I look in the mirror every day," The Real Deal said. "I try to find myself more than anybody. I lost that fire that burns inside me. I still go out there and compete 100 percent, but I don't have that over-the-top kick-[butt] Brett Myers attitude and I think that’s hurting me."

Fabio Castro didn't pitch well, either. He allowed two runs on four hits in two innings.


So, let me ask you: After Brad Lidge, Tom Gordon, J.C. Romero, Ryan Madson and Chad Durbin, who would you like to see in the Phillies' bullpen? Assuming they carry 12 pitchers, they have two bullpen spots left for right-handers Clay Condrey (4.32), Francisco Rosario (5.91) and J.D. Durbin, or lefties Castro (6.00) and Travis Blackley (9.45). Of course, they also could elect to carry 11 pitchers, and Manuel told us this morning that may be a possibility.

No comments: