Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Mar. 5 -- Day 21: GETTING THE MAINE IDEA

Thought I'd pass along this news from Mets camp: Right-hander John Maine had his contract renewed for $450,000. That's $50,000 less than what the Phillies gave ace lefty Cole Hamels. Maine went 15-10 with a 3.91 ERA in 32 starts last season; Hamels was 15-5 with a 3.39 ERA in 28 starts. But Maine seemed to take the news much better than Hamels, who called the renewal a "low blow." Both pitchers could cash in big through arbitration next winter.

"I'm not even worried about it," Maine told reporters. "It's still good money. I'm not going to sit there and argue over $5,000. I'll be able to pay off my cell phone bill. ... Hopefully I'll put together a decent year this year and see what happens next year. Still, that's the wintertime. It's too far away for me to even think about."

*
A few notes from the Phillies' split-squad games today in Dunedin against the Blue Jays and Lakeland against the Tigers...

Good signs: Brett Myers tossed four scoreless innings against the Jays in his first Grapefruit League start; center-field prospect Greg Golson picked up another hit and is 4-for-5 this spring; two hits for Wes Helms, possibly raising his trade value?

Bad sign: J.D. Durbin allowed three runs in four innings against the Tigers, all on solo homers (two by Carlos Guillen and one by Magglio Ordonez).

2 comments:

hankA said...

I read at the Phillies Official Site that Benson will pitch on Saturday against some minor leaguers. I assume it will be at the Carpenter Complex , do you know what time that will start? Thanks for your help.

Scott Lauber said...

hankA: That's correct. I was going to write a post about Benson later tonight. All minor-league games are at the Carpenter Complex, and they usually begin at 1 p.m. I'll try to get an exact time for you.