Sunday, February 10, 2008

Feb. 10 -- SPRING HAS SPRUNG ... ALMOST

So, in fewer than 48 hours, I'll be in Clearwater to start chronicling Phillies spring training, prompting this very important question: Did the offseason fly, or what?

There will be other, even more important, questions facing the Phillies over the next six weeks, and
we ran down five of them in your Sunday paper (the $1.50-center, for short). Several such questions, undoubtedly, involve the Ryan Howard contract stalemate. Will the sides be able to reach a resolution before the Feb. 20 arbitration hearing? (Don't bet on it.) If there is a hearing, will it spark bad blood between Howard and the Phillies? (Don't bet on that, either.) Regardless, Howard will be playing for the Phillies in 2008, and he'll be generously compensated to the tune of $7 million or $10 million. Either way, the days of Howard being underpaid are over.

So, to me, the biggest question of spring training has nothing to do with the Big Man at first base. It's all about the $24.5 Million Man (or is he the 6.29 ERA Man?) on the mound. Adam Eaton had a wretched 2007, and as the offseason began, there were concerns about his balky shoulder and his muddled mind. Eaton underwent an MRI exam (no surgery was necessary) and was considering seeing noted sports psychologist Harvey Dorfmann, who was recommended by sage lefty Jamie Moyer. And Eaton is such an uncertainty that the Phillies are even talking about signing reclamation project Kris Benson, who missed all of last season after undergoing rotator cuff surgery.

But, if Eaton is healthy and effective, the Phils won't have much need for Benson. They won't have to turn to Chad Durbin or Travis Blackley either. And, suddenly, the back of the rotation will look a lot more stable.

I'll catch up with Eaton later this week in Clearwater. Meanwhile, you tell me: What do you think is the biggest question facing the Phillies over the next six weeks?

*
I would've (and should've) posted this yesterday, but I've been ironing out some computer issues before spring training. Anyway, since late is better than never, here's my Saturday Q&A with Brad Lidge. And here's one nugget that didn't make it into the paper but was covered in a story that I wrote last month:

ME: Assistant GM Ruben Amaro Jr. said last month that you may not be ready because you're still recovering from October surgery to repair cartilage damage in your right knee. Will you be ready to go Thursday?

LIDGE: Absolutely. I’ve been a little further ahead than where I thought I’d be right now, and I don’t feel like I’ve rushed it at all. I just feel like my knee has come along well. I’ve actually gotten on the mound twice already just to see how it was going to feel to get into my normal routine, and both times, my knee felt outstanding. So, I feel real good going into spring training that I’ll be able to get all my work in and be ready like normal when the season rolls around. At the same time, I have to be smart. I haven’t put the kind of workload on it yet that we’re going to put in spring training. So, if I get in there and the first couple days I can tell I need to back off a little bit, I will. That being said, even if I back off the agility drills and the running and stuff, I can still get myself ready to throw just as well.

*
Finally, the usual
Sunday MLB notes takes a look at Hockessin resident Tony Graffanino, who is unsigned and trying to recover from a serious knee injury.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Phillies could use a man like this on their team:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/10/sports/baseball/10mets.html?ref=baseball

Anonymous said...

Jingles,

Maybe "D-Wright" could teach the NL East champions how to lose a 7 game lead with 17 games to play.

Anonymous said...

I think a big question mark for the Phillies is still the bullpen. I believe Lidge will be very good. But Gordon is pitching with his labrum issue, Madson is coming off an injury, and has been erratic at best the past two seasons. Where does Mathieson fit in, if at all? As for the starting rotation, a lot is depending on how Moyer, Eaton, and Kendrick perform. As well as Myers readjusting to being a starter. He didnt have the greatest April last season. I believe the offense will do just fine. The right field platoon looks strong on paper. Burrell will hopefully perform up to capabilities (which really should be 40 homers, 100+ RBIs) in a contract season. Feliz is a great pickup, despite low on base percentage. His glove and twenty plus homers will be a huge improvement over last season's platoon. If the pitching holds up, perhaps we'll be seeing that parade.

Scott Lauber said...

Steve: I couldn't agree with you more, which is why I've been puzzled at how much Charlie Manuel likes his bullpen. Last year, he pleaded for bullpen help and got Antonio Alfonseca. This year, he believes the bullpen is a strength when, clearly, there are plenty of questions.

Jingles: You know how I feel about David Wright. Great player, better person. One of the best I've ever covered. To me, though, the most telling comment in that article was when David talked about John Franco's ability to "bring together people from different backgrounds and languages." Much has been made of the United Nations that Omar Minaya has built in Flushing. But it's a telling statement about the Mets' team dynamic that Wright, in only his third season, was the most vocal leader last September during their historic collapse, and it's hard to see how they've filled that leadership void.

Anonymous said...

Leadership void: Are you kidding me. Why do you think they traded Milledge for Ryan Church. Church is a regular Teddy Roosevelt.