Monday, February 18, 2008

Feb. 18 -- GORDON: "AM I REALLY THAT AWFUL?"

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- So, what is an arbitration hearing really like?

Only one player in the Phillies' clubhouse knows for certain, and until I asked him about it yesterday, Tom Gordon had never shared his experience with a reporter. So, I hope you'll enjoy Gordon's first-hand account of what Ryan Howard can expect if his case goes to a hearing Wednesday in nearby St. Pete. Keep in mind: the Phillies and Howard's agent, Casey Close, can reach a settlement at the last-minute, even as they're walking into the conference room.

My favorite quote from Gordon: "After a while, I was like, 'Am I really that awful?' It's just business. It's just negotiating. But things are not always said the way you want them to be said. I didn’t care for it that much."

*
Shane Victorino thinks Carlos Beltran's "team to beat" prediction has gotten a little personal.

*
Sorry to cut this short, but it's time to head over to the ballpark for what could be a manic Monday. I expect we may see Jimmy Rollins today.

More later.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I respect you, Lauber, but you removed a post recently where the reader suggested you gave Myers a free pass for beating his wife. Wouldn't it show some courage to respond instead of taking it away?

Jason Levine said...

I removed that post, not Scott, because it was worded offensively, not because it accused Scott of giving Myers a free pass. It is reasonable to argue that Myers should not be portrayed as the fun guy in the clubhouse in the wake of that case. Then again, that case did through the court system and there is no evidence that we know of that he has repeated that behavior.

Scott Lauber said...

Thanks, Jason, for clearing up that issue. For future reference, and for whatever it's worth, I don't have access to removing posts. And, as everyone here knows, I look forward to and encourage thought-provoking responses. In the two years that I've been doing this blog, I think we've developed a nice community of thoughtful readers and commenters. I hope that continues.

Zach Patten said...

You da man Scott. My offseason would be nearly unbearable without your updates on this blog.

Anonymous said...

Zach - you da loser

Scott Lauber said...

Thanks, Zach. I don't think you're a loser. Keep the comments coming!

Anonymous said...

Scoptt, will you have my baby?

Zach Patten said...

Man, what a bunch of weeners.