Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Feb. 19 -- BURRELL WANTS TO STAY (UPDATED)

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- In a wide-ranging 26-minute talk with reporters yesterday (by far, the longest continuous interview he has given since I began covering the Phillies three years ago), Pat Burrell said he wants to stay with the Phillies beyond this season when his six-year, $50 million finally will expire.

So, do you want him back?

Heading out to the ballpark now for the Phillies' first full-squad workout (Jimmy Rollins is expected to be here). I'll update this post later with my thoughts on Burrell. A year ago, this didn't seem like much of an issue (the Phillies would've done anything to trade Burrell in back-to-back offseasons). Now, it's shaping up to be their toughest decision of the 2008-09 winter.

(Update, 10:19 a.m.): First, some housekeeping. Rollins has arrived. Asked how he thought the newly crowned MVP handled the offseason banquet circuit, 2006 MVP Ryan Howard quipped, "The only thing that's heavy on him are those earrings. He might get hypothermia from all that ice he's got there." Good to see tomorrow's arbitration hearing doesn't have Howard too stressed. Speaking of which, we'll have more on that hearing in tomorrow's 50-center, so keep your eyes peeled.


On Burrell: Never imagined I'd be saying this last July 1, when Burrell was batting .201. But the Phillies have to take a hard look at re-signing him. With Chase Utley and Howard and switch-hitting Rollins, the lineup can be very lefty-dominant. When the Phillies face tough lefties like Johan Santana and Tom Glavine (and they'll face them a lot), Burrrell could be the most important piece of the lineup. You have to be concerned about his foot, and his future may well be as a DH in the American League. But if the Phillies lose Burrell, they'll have to find a way to replace him with a right-handed-hitting power bat who plays a corner outfield spot.

Some Burrell outtakes that didn't make the 50-center:

"I think there are two seasons in one [in 2007]. It started off bad, to the point where I wasn’t playing. Something just took over right around the All-Star break, and I think really about a week before the All-Star break I started having some success, where I really felt like I was building on something. I was able to just carry it on. I think for a lot of players, you start seeing signs that things are improving, and you start building, and you just keep going and keep going and you just can’t look back. That’s where I’m trying to get now, just try to get moving in the right direction and hopefully not have to spend the whole second half trying to make up for the first half."

(On being removed late in games for defense): "[Charlie Manuel] knows from talking from me, hey, you know what, if I’m on second base in a tie game with two outs, then I’ll be the first guy to say you might want to put somebody in that’s got a little bit better speed to score and win. That’s not an issue. But like you said, about missing the number of bats. Where do you think you can help? ... That’s up to me. If I show that I’m healthy and moving around out there, it may make the decision and little easier. It’s not rocket science. I’m enver going to fast, I never have been fast. I’m never going to steal bases. I never have. So there are some thing that are just, it is what it is."

6 comments:

danimal said...

I just cant imagine Burrell comes back after this season.. He is just too atrocious defensively, he definitely needs to go to the AL and DH.

Bananafish said...

I'd offer Burrell arbitration for as long as he puts up solid numbers. If he accepts, good. If not, he'll definitely be a type A, so we'll get the two picks if an American League team offers him a multi-year contract to DH.

Unknown said...

The banana speaks wisely. I agree, completely.

It's refreshing to hear a player recognize he's been treated that well, because he HAS been overpaid.

That being said, 28 HR/94 rbi's aren't that easy to replace either.

Anonymous said...

slow down there banana, burrell won't be arbitration eligible. instead he'll be up for a new contract. in that case the Phils have to offer a new contract/contract extension or let him walk. I'm not sure what the Phils get, if anything, if they offer him a contract but he decides to walk (a la Rowand). i think there's a draft pick in there somewhere.

that being said, I think they should give him a 2 year extension with a 3rd year option and nothing more. he still very very productive when he's not slumping. Manuel has gotten good at defensive replacing him as well at the right times. The guy has a 162 game average of 31 HR, 82 runs, 104 RBIs. thats good enough to overlook his average of a .258 BA.

I say keep him.

Andy said...

Banana's right, Andrew. Burrell is a FA, but the Phillies have to offer arbitration to get draft picks if he signs elsewhere (same process as Rowand). If he can't find a multi-year deal out there, there's some chance he might accept arbitration and come back on a 1 year $15M deal/arbitration award.

Anonymous said...

sign him for another 3 years. how often does a philly player wanna stay here like he does? its rare. you could probably get him around 11m a year for 3 years. and he does put up good numbers. just not the most exciting ways.