Monday, February 11, 2008

Feb. 11 -- J-ROLL: 'I CAN DO BETTER'

Last February, when the Phillies opened spring training, everyone wondered what Ryan Howard could possibly do for an encore after a 58-homer, 149-RBI, MVP season in 2006. This year, the same questions will be asked of Jimmy Rollins, who in 2007 became the first player to record at least 200 hits, 15 triples, 25 home runs and 25 stolen bases in a season en route to winning the Silver Slugger, Gold Glove and NL MVP.

As usual, Rollins already has a well-prepared answer.

"I'd like to score more runs, steal third more, hit for a better average, and make about three or four fewer errors," he said. "Other than that, I don't know if there's anything more I can do. But scoring those six to eight more runs will take me stealing probably 10 or 15 more bags. So, yeah, I think I can do better."

Bill James doesn't think so. In his annual handbook, the noted statistical analyst forecasts dips for Rollins in nearly every offensive category. But Rollins seems to have other goals in mind.

"What do I do for an encore?" he said. "Win a World Series ring."

With that, I'm off to Florida. More tomorrow, including The Blog's guide to Clearwater.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scott,

When (or if) are we going to get Kris Benson and/or Kyle Lohse signed?

Is Lohse willing to sit tight and wait to sign in the middle of Spring Training?

Anonymous said...

Please dont come back a Scientologist.