Saturday, February 23, 2008

Feb. 23 -- DAY 10: LIDGE HURT? (UPDATED W/QUOTES)

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- It's absolutely pouring here at the Carpenter Complex. The Phillies have scurried off the back fields, and right now, they're hitting in the indoor batting cage. But one player -- closer Brad Lidge -- left before the rain started with an undisclosed injury while throwing live batting practice.

Lidge, as you know, is recovering from right knee surgery, but reports this week from Charlie Manuel and pitching coach Rich Dubee have been positive. All indications I've received are that Lidge is throwing the ball well.

The clubhouse re-opens to the media at 12:15 p.m. At that time, we'll get you some more details on Lidge's situation.

(Update, 1:29 p.m.): Lidge already had left the clubhouse by the time we were allowed in, but he spoke via phone and didn't sound overly concerned ... for now. Lidge did tweak something in his right knee on his first pitch of live batting practice. He had surgery to repair torn cartilage in October. Lidge is expected to see a team doctor tomorrow.

"I just caught the spike on the mound," Lidge said. "I threw the pitch, but it felt like I pulled something in the knee. It didn't feel real good after that. Because of where we are in spring training, there's no reason for me to push it. It swelled up on me a little, but I'm optimistic I just pulled some scar tissue. We'll just try to be smart with it.

"I wouldn't be surprised if it's real sore tomorrow, and I wouldn't be surprised if I miss a day or a couple of days just to be cautious. I figure this is just one of the setbacks or one of the things that'll happen, to be honest."

On most days, Lidge had been taking fielding practice with the pitchers and testing his knee. "It's felt a little sore from time to time," he said.

*
Check out the newest Phillies commercial.

No comments: