Friday, February 29, 2008

Feb. 29 -- SNELL VS. HOWARD

Ian Snell and Ryan Howard play for opposing teams, but they're good friends. They got to know each other in the minors, and they've stayed close since they reached the majors. And while Howard has won NL Rookie of the Year and MVP awards, few pitchers have given him more trouble than Snell, a Camden native and Caesar Rodney High product. Howard is 1-for-10 with a sacrifice fly and six strikeouts in his career against Snell.

So, when Snell held Howard to an 0-for-3 today in Bradenton, he joked about his success over his buddy.

"I own Ryan Howard now," a smiling Snell told reporters. "I love to face him. It's a challenge and we've had a good rivalry ever since we were starting out in the minor leagues in 2001."

Howard's response: "I'd own myself, too, if I always quick-pitched myself."

Seriously, though, Howard said, "We have a unique relationship. It's pretty neat."

No comments: