Friday, February 29, 2008

Feb. 29 -- DAY 16: THE REAL DEAL?

You don't need a particularly long memory to recall what J.D. "The Real Deal" Durbin did for the Phillies last season.

After bouncing around in a weird waiver cycle (he was waived four times in 17 days in March), and finally opening the season in triple-A, Durbin was called up in midseason to the Phillies' injury-ravaged rotation and won six games. In his two best starts, he allowed one run in 15 innings against the Dodgers and Padres. In his worst, he allowed seven runs and didn't record an out against the Marlins. Often, Durbin was like
the little girl with the curl. When he was good, he was very, very good; but when he was bad, he was horrid.

Either way, if the Phillies wouldn't have made the playoffs without Kyle Kendrick's 10-win contribution, Durbin was nearly as important.

But while Kendrick entered this spring with a guaranteed rotation spot, Durbin is still fighting for a job, with Adam "The $24.5 Million Man" Eaton still holding the inside track on the No. 5 starter position. Durbin started today against the Pirates in Bradenton and allowed two runs on five hits and walk in two innings. Not great. Not terrible, either. Eaton and Chad Durbin (no relation to "The Real Deal") will pitch tomorrow against the Yankees. Watch them closely.

Anyway, J.D. Durbin doesn't have any minor-league options, which means he'd have to clear waivers (again!) to go to the minors. He and I discussed that scenario on Wednesday morning. Here's what he had to say:

"To get my first start in spring training and to have a spot open, I’d say it’s a plus. I wouldn’t say it’s going to add extra pressure, but there’s a sense of urgency to try to do well. I was here last year, so it’s not like I need to try to over-impress. But I like it in Philly, and these guys treat me really nice. If they say I didn’t earn a spot, that would be tough to swallow. But there’s 29 other teams that might need me. So, you never know what’s going to happen with the game of numbers. All I can worry about it going out and throwing the best I can that day.

"There’s a spot open, and the numbers are kind of close. They’re going to give me a true look to see, is this guy really worth breaking camp with or should we let him go again. It’ll be hard to take being let go, if it does happen. All I can do is come out here and pitch my [butt] off."

No comments: