Sunday, June 01, 2008

June 1 -- LIEBERTHAL RETIRES

Nice ovation before the game for Mike Lieberthal, who signed a minor-league contract (yes, he actually had to sign a document) with the Phillies and officially ended his career in the same place where it began. Don't want to scoop ourselves too much (all of this will be in the 50-cent edition tomorrow), but here are a few quotes from Lieberthal to chew on today:

"I spent 17 years of my life and put everything that I had into baseball and into the Phillies. I know I finished [last season] with the Dodgers, but it's definitely an honor to come back here and finish with the Phillies. I was still a Phillie at heart when I was in LA. I did watch pretty much every game that was on TV, and I still do. The Phillies are definitely deep in my heart. ... It's a special day for me to come in and retire. I think it's the right thing to do. When [team president] David Montgomery called me in the offseason and asked me if I'd do it, and there really was no question in my mind. It's special to me to finish my career here and finish as a Phillie."

Lieby also talked about the "irony" of getting called up by the Phillies in 1994, one year after they went to the World Series, and leaving the club before last season, when they returned to the playoffs. And he said he would like to someday be a hitting coach, either at the college or pro level. All of that will be covered in The Paper.

Meanwhile, you tell me: How will you remember Lieberthal?

Oh, and for the record, the contract Lieberthal signed today with Class AA Reading was worth $4. Why $4? There's actually a rule that stipulates any player who signs such a contract must make at least $1 per month for the rest of the season.

"He's the first player I've ever paid cash to," Montgomery joked, while holding four dollar bills.

No comments: