Saturday, June 14, 2008

June 14 -- WATCHING FLASH

ST. LOUIS -- So, the Phillies scored 20 runs last night, pounding the Cardinals and marking the first time since 1900 that they've scored 20 runs in two games in the same season.

Yeah, those 1900 Phillies could really rake.

By now, though, you know all about the potency of these Phillies' bats. And while the back-to-back-to-back home runs by Chase Utley, Ryan Howard and Pat Burrell, and the four hits by Carlos Ruiz, and the five RBIs for Howard, were impressive sights to see, we're going to focus our attention this morning on Tom "Flash" Gordon.

Without being asked, Charlie Manuel mentioned yesterday that he's going to be careful with Gordon's workload over the next few months. There's nothing wrong with Gordon's right arm, Manuel insisted. But Gordon is 40 years old, and there's a lot of mileage on that shoulder and elbow. He already has made 29 appearances this season, and in the interest of preserving his health for as long as possible, Manuel and pitching coach Rich Dubee want to make sure Gordon gets proper rest.

Sounds good, right?

Well, Gordon isn't so sure. I spoke to him for a few minutes before last night's game, and while he understands what Manuel is trying to do, his competitive nature tells him that it's never a good thing when your workload is diminished. But he won't make waves, either. If Manuel wants to turn some eighth innings over to Ryan Madson, Chad Durbin or J.C. Romero, Gordon won't complain.

"I've always been a guy that, the more I've pitched, the better I've felt," Gordon told me. "I didn't come here thinking I'd have 29 games at this point, but that's what my job requires sometimes. Whatever is best for the team right now is best for the team. I respect that. I'll do anything I can to help this team win."

So, what do you think? Good idea to monitor Gordon?

***
The Phillies wanted Kyle Lohse back. Lohse wanted to return. Yet Lohse is here, pitching for the Cardinals today.

So, what happened?

"It was a weird situation," Lohse said. "Whatever it was, things didn't work out."

"We did pursue him. We wanted him back, and we ultimately made offers that were far greater than what he signed for," assistant GM Ruben Amaro Jr. said. "I think, overall, based on the marketplace the year prior, there was a different expectation than ultimately what was agreed upon."

Translation: Lohse's agent, Scott Boras, misread the market. Unable to get the four- or five-year contract he desired, Lohse settled for a one-year, $4.25 million deal with the Cards.

"I really don't know how to describe how things went down [in the offseason]," Lohse said. "Obviously, a lot of teams need pitching, and for whatever reason, I wasn't on anybody's list. I've gotten past it. I think my performance has proved that. I guess you could say I'm out there enjoying the success that I'm having and showing people that I probably could've helped them out."

No comments: