Monday, June 02, 2008

June 2 -- THE CRAZIEST DUDE IN BASEBALL

So, the strangest thing happened in the eighth inning here tonight.

With the Phillies clinging to a 5-4 lead, Charlie Manuel brought in Tom Gordon to open the inning, and Reds manager Dusty Baker didn't choose to use Ken Griffey Jr. to pinch-hit for Ryan Freel, even though Griffey has six career homers in 48 at-bats against Gordon. There were only three possible explanations.

1. Griffey told the Reds he was unable to pinch-hit.
2. Baker was sleeping.
3. Farney had invaded Baker's head and was running the Reds.

Who's Farney?

Two seasons ago, Freel revealed to Cincinnati reporters that he has an imaginary friend named Farney, who he talks to on a regular basis. After making a diving catch against Albert Pujols, Freel said that even Farney couldn't believe he made the grab.

"He's a little guy who lives in my head who talks to me and I talk to him," Freel said. "That little midget in my head said, 'That was a great catch, Ryan,' I said, 'Hey, Farney, I don't know if that was you who really caught that ball, but that was pretty good if it was.' Everybody thinks I talk to myself, so I tell 'em I'm talking to Farney.' "

Seriously.

You can't make this stuff up.

No comments: