Sunday, June 22, 2008

June 22 -- LINEUP CHANGES

Legend has it that Billy Martin, in the midst of a Yankees slump in 1977, had Reggie Jackson pick names out of a hat to determine the batting order.

Charlie Manuel doesn't believe in that.

But Manuel has altered the lineup for today's series finale against the Angels, and with the Phils batting .204 with only 23 runs scored in the past seven games, it can't hurt. So, without further ado, here's what Manuel has come up with against Angels RHP Jered Weaver (6-7, 4.73).

SS Jimmy Rollins (.278/6/25)
3B Greg Dobbs (.354/2/18)
2B Chase Utley (.291/22/63)
1B Ryan Howard (.216/19/63)
LF Pat Burrell (.276/18/47)
CF Shane Victorino (.274/2/18)
RF Geoff Jenkins (.250/6/21)
C Carlos Ruiz (.230/2/20)
LHP Cole Hamels (7-4, 3.23)

***
Also, the Phillies have signed second-round pick Jason Knapp, a right-handed pitcher from North Hunterdon (N.J.) High. Knapp will report to the rookie-level Gulf Coast League this week.

***
So, I was doing some Sunday reading when I came across this quote in esteemed Nick Cafardo's weekly baseball column in the Boston Globe. It's from Bobby Abreu about playing for Terry Francona with the Phillies: "I was young then, but it was good. He taught me a lot of good things. I made one mistake: I got lazy. It was my fault. He got into me and taught me a lesson. He told me I had to be responsible. Since then, I have never forgotten that. That was a good thing that I learned from him. He taught me how to play the game right."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As much as I love to watch this team it is painfully obvious that yet again the Phils are incomplete and fans should not think too highly of this bunch. Myers and Eaton are killing the Phils and the regular bats are all under .300 right now. Again and again pitching pitching pitching wins games. Good luck Phils you are gonna need it.