Friday, July 11, 2008

July 11 -- BLAME BRETT FAVRE

So, I was talking before tonight's game with Phils outfielder Geoff Jenkins, who was named to the NL All-Star team in 2003 via the online "Final Vote" competition. Jenkins, at the time, played for the Brewers, just like Corey Hart, who edged Pat Burrell in this year's "Final Vote." Still, Jenkins was surprised that Hart won, considering Milwaukee is a much smaller market than Philadelphia or New York. Mets third baseman David Wright was the second-place finisher.

My theory: Wisconsin natives were glued to the Internet all week to monitor the Brett Favre saga, and when they took a break from surfing for more Favre rumors, they cast a vote for Hart.

MLB doesn't release the vote totals, giving us no way of knowing how far behind Hart and Wright that Burrell finished. Regardless, I think Burrell has played well enough to merit an All-Star roster spot. Here are his numbers relative to Hart and Wright, entering tonight's games:

Hart: .292 AVG, 15 HR, 57 RBI, .842 OPS
Wright: .288 AVG, 17 HR, 70 RBI, .897 OPS
Burrell: .279 AVG, 22 HR, 54 RBI, .993 OPS

Burrell, who typically doesn't show much emotion, is bumming. "There are more important things, but I can't lie. I would have loved to have gone," he said today. "You get an opportunity to have a chance to go, you want to go. ... I don't have anything planned. I don't know what I'm going to do now. We have to focus on winning the next three games and enjoying three days off. I'd gladly have not taken the three days off, though."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DW got in because (1)He was 2nd in the Voting (2) Yeah Burrell might be having a better year so far- but he's an outfielder - David' is at 3rd which is a more difficult postion and (3) He's A New Yorker...I think Clint made the right choice