Monday, July 07, 2008

July 7 -- MYERS SPEAKS

Some of Brett Myers' thoughts after tonight's performance in Lehigh Valley ...

"It was a heck of a lot better than last time. My velocity was a lot better and the location was a lot better. I got a little tired there at the end, but I tried to work out of it. I thought I threw it pretty well. I could tell a difference in the hitters' swings whether my fastball was good or not. I didn't need a radar gun to tell if it was good or not."

"I was trying to work on my fastball tonight. That was the plan. I had been falling in love with my other pitches and not throwing my fastball so I threw my fastball a lot more tonight -- like I used to in the past. The first outing it was like 50-50. This time it was 60 to 70 percent more fastballs than the last time. They said I hit 94 a couple of times with my fastball, so I'll go with that. Hopefully it will get up a little more than that the next time. Definitely my mechanics were much better this time and I felt better out there and stronger out there."

... and his reaction to Brad Lidge's contract extension ...

"I'm happy for him. Good for him. I'm here to get ready as a starter. That doesn't matter to me. I'm going to go out there and pitch. Whatever they want me to do -- and it's clear what they want me to do right now. It doesn't matter to me. I'm going to go out there and pitch. I like to compete, and I'm going to go on competing as long as I play this game."

We'll have more in Tuesday's News Journal. That's all for tonight.

No comments: