Friday, July 18, 2008

July 18 -- EATON TO BULLPEN

MIAMI -- Adam Eaton is moving to the bullpen.

Try not to contain your excitement, Phillies fans.

"Anything to help the team," Eaton said about an hour ago in the Phillies' clubhouse here at Dolphin Stadium. "I'd like to be a starter, don't get me wrong. But I'm on one of the best teams in the big leagues. We're going to win this thing."

Eaton, 3-8 with a 5.71 ERA in 19 starts this season, has made two career relief appearances, both with the Padres in 2005. He tossed a scoreless ninth inning Aug. 2, 2005, in Pittsburgh, then allowed four runs in the ninth inning two days later against the Pirates.

Joe Blanton, who will take Eaton's rotation spot, is expected to join the team later tonight or Saturday. The Phillies haven't determined when he'll make his debut, although Tuesday night against the Mets at Shea Stadium remains a strong possibility.

***
Get well soon to Harry Kalas, who underwent surgery this morning on a detached retina in his left eye. Harry is expected to miss at least 5-10 days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would give Eaton his release. I’d rather pay him to not pitch for me than pay him to pitch for me. The money’s down the toilet either way. Better to give his roster spot to someone like Happ who has a chance to be productive.