Wednesday, July 16, 2008

July 16 -- A LOOOOOONG NIGHT

NEW YORK -- Morning, all. Hey, quick question: Is the All-Star Game still going on?

Oh, that's right. The AL finally scored in the 15th inning against Brad Lidge, the NL's appointed closer, on a sacrifice fly by Michael Young. It should be noted that NL right fielder Corey Hart made a strong throw to the plate, and Justin Morneau nearly was tagged out. In fact, from my seat in the press box, it first appeared that he might have been. But, after 4 hours and 50 minutes, the longest All-Star Game in history ended, mercifully, and we can sit here and review a fairly incredible night at Yankee Stadium.

Lidge said he'll never forget a pre-game ceremony that was positively awesome. Nearly 50 Hall of Famers stood, shoulder-to-shoulder, with the present All-Stars on Yankee Stadium's hallowed ground. Willie Mays was there. So was Hank Aaron. Upon being introduced, Willie McCovey strained to stand. Yogi Berra, Whitey Ford, Reggie Jackson and Goose Gossage threw ceremonial first pitches to Joe Girardi, Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez and Mariano Rivera. George Steinbrenner, apparently so frail that he's unable to stand up, was driven to the mound and received a standing ovation.

It was enough to give Chase Utley goosebumps.

"It was overwhelming," Utley said later, in the NL clubhouse. "Being on the field with all those greats. I had a chance to stand next at second base next to Rod Carew and Ryne Sandberg. It was pretty neat."

Said Lidge, "The introduction of the Hall of Famers was unbelievable. I'll never forget that. I tried to take a mental snapshot so I know I never will."

***
In an online version of the notebook (deadlines!), Lidge said he warmed up in the ninth, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th and 14th innings before finally getting into the game in the 15th. How many pitches did he throw? His best guess: A dozen to two dozen in each inning. Lidge said he didn't have any cell-phone messages from Charlie Manuel or Rich Dubee last night, but I'm sure he'll get a few calls from them today.

What would've happened if the game had continued? Well, Lidge said he might've been able to throw one more inning, though he wasn't certain. NL manager Clint Hurdle said he already talked to Mets star David Wright about pitching. Wright was ready to go.

***
Barring an unexpected trip back here, it was my last visit to Yankee Stadium. And in The Paper this morning,
I waxed sentimental about The House That Ruth Built. Know this: The first game I ever attended was at Yankee Stadium. So was the second, the third, and so on. As a kid, it was the biggest place I'd ever seen, with its blue seats, its white frieze facade, its monuments to Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle beyond the left-center field fence. There were countless father-son moments for me in that building, and although the new Stadium rising across the street looks like quite the palace, I'll miss it when it's gone. I suspect -- in fact, I know -- I won't be alone.

No comments: