Friday, April 13, 2007

April 13 -- WHOOF, WHOOF

Under normal circumstances, Brett Myers is fun to talk to. The Phillies' right-hander is usually cracking a joke or engaging in some type of clubhouse hijinx. To put it mildly, Myers keeps the atmosphere light.

But, after he loses a game, he's a quote machine.

Tonight was no different. Here's what Myers had to say to reporters after allowing seven runs on three hits (two homers by Carlos Lee, including a two-out grand slam in the third inning) and five walks: ''I got no excuses. I flat-out stunk. It's frustrating. I feel I'm not myself. I feel I lost that Rottweiler aggression. I'm pitching like a scared dog. I'm sorry the fans had to watch that. It was terrible.''

As much as the homers hurt Myers, the pair of two-out walks to Morgan Ensberg and Lance Berkman that preceded the grand slam were even more damaging.

Also, just a thought: After Lee's third homer of the game, a ninth-inning shot off reliever Ryan Madson, do you think GM Pat Gillick began to regret that he didn't sign Lee in the offseason when he had a chance?

More tomorrow.

No comments: