Sunday, April 08, 2007

April 8 -- HOLDING PATTERN

Right now, I'm supposed to be on an airplane, watching a flight attendant tell me what to do in case of emergency. Instead, I'm still sitting in Fort Lauderdale International Airport, waiting for a flight that won't leave until 10:30 p.m. Gotta love air travel!

I've already eaten dinner and called a few friends, and I'm not near a TV with HBO, so I can't watch the season premiere of "Entourage" (don't tell me what happens!). There's only one more thing I can think of doing to pass the time: Bonus blog!

By now, you know the Phillies dropped to 1-5 today. After the first inning, there was little to cheer about for these guys (left), who came to Miami to watch the Phillies -- and evidently, to dress up like the Easter Bunny. I'm anxious to see the reaction the Phils receive tomorrow at Shea Stadium, assuming I ever get there. Jimmy Rollins, in particular, should be the object of derision from Mets fans, who are still peeved about Rollins' comments in January that the Phils are "the team to beat" in the NL East.

Speaking of Rollins, he mentioned to a few reporters today that he thought his memorable "team to beat" remark was "tilted." Asked what he meant by that, Rollins didn't say he was misquoted (he wasn't; I was there at Citizens Bank Park to hear him say it). But Rollins seems to think his comments were misinterpreted by some of the Mets as a slight to the other teams in the division. Mostly, Rollins was trying to express his confidence in the Phillies. But, he did talk about the aging and inexperienced Mets rotation, which so far, has looked pretty good. We'll see what John Maine, Oliver Perez and Tom Glavine can do against the Phillies this week.

Hopefully, I'll be in New York soon. Talk to you then.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, the Mets rotation has been impressive so far. I hope the Phillies realize that taking 2 of 3 from them - and maybe coming back late and rocking a wild Wagner - would be a big confidence booster and calm down the fans.