Saturday, August 02, 2008

Aug. 2 -- HAMELS: 'I FEEL FINE'

ST. LOUIS -- Kind of pressed for time here today, but I wanted to mention something that came up last night after the Cardinals roughed up Cole Hamels for five runs on two homers. Catcher Carlos Ruiz mentioned that Hamels' changeup has been up in the strike zone during his past two starts, one explanation for why he has allowed 14 runs (eight runs) in his last 9-2/3 innings for a 7.45 ERA.

"Now that I think of it, when things have gone bad in my last two starts, my changeup definitely has been up," said Hamels, tied for third in the NL with 23 homers allowed, behind the Cubs' Ted Lilly (25) and Brett Myers (24). "I really haven't been able to locate it down in the zone."

But it has nothing to do with his health.

Contrary to reports that surfaced on a radio station earlier this week, Hamels said he's feeling fine. There's nothing wrong with his elbow. Or his shoulder. Or his back. Or anything else. And, for a pitcher who routinely spends a few weeks each season on the disabled list, good health is a comfort, even in times when he's struggling.

"I'm perfectly fine," Hamels assured. "I think that's the best thing. Every start I've had, I've been able to feel good."

***
Everyone is wondering what, exactly, J.A. Happ's role will be down the stretch. Happ is trying not to think about it. Also, within the notebook, a few words about Joe Blanton's big start here tonight, Rudy Seanez going to the DL, and Kris Benson's latest encouraging start for Lehigh Valley.

More in a bit from Busch Stadium.

1 comment:

Zach said...

Hey Scott, any word from Gillick/Amaro or Noworyta on Carrasco being promoted to AAA today? I assume he's taking Walrond's roster spot in Lehigh, so does this mean that Happ and/or Walrond are expected to stay with the Phillies for a while? Gordon kind of fell off the face of the earth and all signs point towards Seanez getting the boot.