Friday, August 29, 2008

Aug. 29 -- PREGAME NOTES

BY SCOTT LAUBER

CHICAGO -- Still no confirmation of the Matt Stairs trade. Pat Gillick walked by a few of us reporters this morning and said he couldn't comment on the deal. It sounds like an inevitability, though, so I expect the Phillies should have something for us later today.

A few other odds and ends:

--Cole Hamels concurred that he was "spent" after the seventh inning last night. Rich Dubee, I think, wanted to run Hamels out there, but added, "I've got to go off what he said." I'll have more from Hamels and Dubee in Saturday's News Journal. Meanwhile, let me ask you: Do you think Hamels, after 108 pitches, should've volunteered to pitch the eighth, too?

--Here's an interesting name to keep an eye on: Kyle Farnsworth. The hard-throwing reliever reportedly was on waivers earlier in the week and may have cleared. He'll be a free agent after the season and may be able to help the Phillies' bullpen. I haven't heard anything linking the Phillies to Farnsworth. I'm just thinking aloud here.

--New lineup, similar to the old lineup, for the Phillies today. Chase Utley is back in the No. 3 spot, with Shane Victorino batting second and Pat Burrell batting fifth.

--Should be interesting to see a couple of former Athletics pitchers, Joe Blanton and Rich Harden, square off today. Somewhere, I'm sure Billy Beane will be watching.


--A review of last night's game is here. And some of Charlie Manuel's prophetic pregame comments about the bullpen are here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not the brightest looking bulb, huh?