Saturday, October 25, 2008

Oct. 25 -- ABOUT THE INTROS

BY SCOTT LAUBER

So, according to a report on ESPN.com, some Phillies players weren't happy that the pre-game introductions before Game 1 at Tropicana Field were limited only to the starting lineups. Evidently, Fox television asked Major League Baseball to forego that World Series tradition in the interest of making their broadcast shorter. Matt Stairs, Brad Lidge and several other players were upset when a Phillies PR official told them before Game 1 that they wouldn't introduced, and Ryan Madson, the team's alternate player rep, is trying to get the situation changed for tonight.

Meanwhile, Charlie Manuel thinks the Phillies should simply worry about playing. Here's what he told a small group of local beat writers a few minutes ago.

"I understand that, very much so. In some ways, if they feel like it's important for them to get introduced, I feel like we should do it. But we're in the World Series. Our guys became a star when they made the major leagues. They've been a star. They are a star. The scoreboard, computers, coverage nowadays with national television, all the exposure they get, I don't necessarily like when my players think that this is a big ticket for them. To me, their ticket is swinging the bat and pitching and running. They got popular because the fans love to see them play. Actually, what they've done is what's made them who they are.

"When I was with Cleveland, I used to hear about marketing and stuff like that. Marketing is none of my business, and I don't know anything about it. So, I'm not saying anything in a derogatory way. But I remember Cleveland never drew anything until they put a good ballclub on the field. Our players, they became big players because of who they did and what they were and how they played the game. Over the last two years, how many times have I told you guys about our players and how they play is what brings people to the park? Therefore, they get popular that way. Just because somebody introduces you and you get your picture on TV or something, after the game you can go over and do a TV interview, and if that's national exposure, that's all fine. But at the same time, why don't we try to do something to get that exposure? Does that make sense? If you do that, that other stuff will take care of itself. At the end of the World Series, if we can look back and say we won the World Series, I guarantee they're going to get all the attention downtown with a parade. Right now, I can go eat somewhere and they're all over me. It's hard to believe. Everywhere you go, somebody is hollering at you. I mean, really. So, playing the game comes first."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The players are at least as dense as the fans. Good to know

Zach said...

Scott, any reason behind the Phillies lineup being introduced backwards tonight? That seemed a little weird.

And I doubt you got to see it, but FOX played some ridiculous fish song over the Tampa introductions. I'm still trying to figure out that one.

Scott Lauber said...

Zach: Great question. The Phillies like to announce their lineup backwards because they think the fans will be the loudest when Jimmy Rollins is announced. They did the same thing before Game 1 of the Division Series and the NLCS. Personally, I think it's kind of cheesy. Call me a traditionalist, but I think the lineup should be announced in order, 1 through 9.