Saturday, October 25, 2008

Oct. 25 -- COMMISH SAYS THEY'LL PLAY

BY SCOTT LAUBER

Just spent a few minutes downstairs in the media room, where Albert Pujols received the 2008 Roberto Clemente Award in recognition of the player who best exemplifies the game of baseball, sportsmanship, community involvement and the individual's contribution to his team.

(Much to our chagrin, Pujols politely declined to handicap his -- or Ryan Howard's -- chances of winning the NL MVP award next month.)

After the presentation, Bud Selig addressed some reporters about tonight's game, which will surely be delayed. It's still raining here, the tarp remains on the field, and other than a few relievers from both teams playing catch in the outfield a few hours ago, the Phillies and Rays have been holed up inside their respective clubhouses. But Selig said tonight's game will be played, even if it's delayed until 9:30 or 10 p.m., mainly because the rain is expected to pass shortly after 8:30. He has been in communication with both teams, and Charlie Manuel and Joe Maddon both want to play the game.

"In 1971 or '72, I did something that I said I'd never do again," Selig said. "[The Brewers] had a big game against the Red Sox or the Yankees, and about 4:30, I called the game off. I walked out to my car to go home at about 7, and the sun was shining. I said to myself that I'll never do that again."

No comments: