Monday, October 27, 2008

Oct. 26 -- GAME 4: PHILLIES 10, RAYS 2

BY SCOTT LAUBER

One more win.

That's all the Phillies need to win their first World Series since 1980 and the second in the franchise's 126-year history.

Go ahead and pinch yourself.

Only six teams have rallied from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series. The Rays will be trying to join the 1903 Boston Pilgims, 1925 Pittsburgh Pirates, 1958 New York Yankees, 1968 Detroit Tigers, 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates and 1985 Kansas City Royals. But none of those teams had to face Cole Hamels in Game 5. Hamels is 4-0 with a 1.55 ERA in four starts during this postseason. To quote Charlie Manuel, "Every time you hand him the ball, you expect to win."

And if the Phillies do?

"It'll be bedlam," Ryan Howard said.

"I'm going to get on the mound and do snow angels out there," Brett Myers said, channeling his inner Jonathan Papelbon.

We'll have complete coverage in The Paper and here, on The Blog, later today, from Joe Blanton's stellar six-inning performance (and his unexpected home run) to Ryan Howard's home run. For now, though, I wanted to pass along a few notes about the Blanton hat situation. Here was Blanton's explanation: "It's nothing. They rub the balls up with whatever they rub them up with, and you rub it up and get it on your hand and I'm constantly trying to get moisture, and just touch my hat. It's nothing sticky. Anybody can go touch it. It's just basically just the dirt from the ball that gets on it over time, over so many starts. I don't change my hat. It just gets rubbed on the hat."

From Joe Maddon: "I did bring it to their attention. Quite frankly, I did. I asked them to watch it and be vigilant about it, and nothing happened, obviously, but I was concerned about that early on."

And from MLB VP of umpiring Mike Port: "In my estimation, as a spectator, I don't feel there was anything untoward because I noticed almost a nervous habit. He was going to hit cap all the time. I can only guess it was normal smudging. But, suffice it to say that after Joe Maddon talking with Tom Hallion about keeping an eye on the situation, Tom didn't detect anything as far as action on the baseball or any substance on the baseball."

No comments: