Sunday, March 15, 2009

Mar. 15 -- CHASE, CHAN HO & COLE

BY SCOTT LAUBER

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- So, I promised you some postgame Chase Utley comments, right? Well, here you have it (with Associated Press photos from the game):

Utley said he awoke this morning, after playing four innings in that secret minor-league intrasquad game yesterday, feeling surprisingly good. So, he arrived at Bright House and told Charlie Manuel that he wanted to play again today (he originally was going to have the day off). He said he didn't feel any discomfort when he swung the bat, ran to first or moved around second base, which, obviously, is a good sign.


"I was a little unsure how it would feel because you can do so many things [in practice] but you really can't simulate being on the field, moving every pitch," Utley said. "So, I guess I was pleasantly surprised that it felt pretty good, and as long as I continue to feel good, I'll keep getting out there. ... The more I play, the better I feel, the more optimistic I am. As long as we continue to have no setbacks, like we haven't had so far, I don't see why I won't be ready for opening day."

For those who are concerned that Utley is rushing back, I wouldn't lose any sleep. The Phillies -- specifically Ruben Amaro Jr. and head athletic trainer Scott Sheridan -- have been cautious with him throughout the rehabilitation. With three weeks still remaining until the season-opener, I highly doubt they're going to start rushing him now. There's still plenty of time for him to get ready.

***
There was a second storyline, and it involved Chan Ho Park. The veteran right-hander has emerged as a co-frontrunner (with J.A. Happ) for the fifth-starter job, and today, he was stellar for 4-2/3 innings. Facing a Cardinals lineup that included Albert Pujols, Ryan Ludwick, Chris Duncan, Skip Schumaker, Rick Ankiel and touted prospect Colby Rasmus, Park allowed three hits and struck out six. He fanned Pujols on a particularly nasty curveball in the first inning, then admitted he had never before thrown a curveball to Pujols. (He might want to try it more often.) In three Grapefruit League appearances (two starts), Park has a 1.54 ERA.

Now, Park has a job on the Phils' pitching staff after signing a one-year, $2.5 million free-agent contract in December. The only question is whether he will be a starter, his preferred role after reviving his career in the Dodgers' bullpen last season. The biggest issue is whether he'll be able to log enough innings to be a starter. Once a durable former 18-game winner, the 35-year-old right-hander hasn't topped 150 innings since 2005 or 200 innings since 2001. To his credit, Park came to camp last month in phenomenal shape.

Asked if he can handle a starter's workload, he said, "We'll see. It's not easy. I haven't done that. But that's my goal. So, if you're asking me, 'Can I do it,' I say yes."

***
Meanwhile, on the back fields of the Complex, Cole Hamels tossed 54 pitches (no curveballs) in four innings of a minor-league intrasquad. Rich Dubee said will begin mixing in his curveball with his fastball and changeup over his final three spring-training starts.

***
On tap Monday: Kyle Kendrick makes what can only be described as a critical start against the Yankees in Tampa. Kendrick has fallen behind Park and Happ in the fifth-starter race, so he needs a solid outing today to help restore the faith of Manuel and Dubee.

Talk to you then.

No comments: