Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Mar. 31 -- BREAKING NEWS: JENKINS RELEASED (UPDATED)

BY SCOTT LAUBER

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- Just confirmed by the Phillies: Geoff Jenkins has been released. Jenkins is owed $8 million this season ($6.75 million this season, $1.25 million buyout for 2010). Including Adam Eaton, who was released last month, the Phillies are spending nearly $17 million this season for players who won't be with them.


More in a bit.

(Updated, 2:25 p.m.): Just spoke to Jenkins, who is busy right now shaking hands and trading hugs with Greg Dobbs, Jayson Werth and other teammates in the clubhouse. Obviously, he was disappointed by the news, although he anticipated something would have to happen. The Phillies weren't going to open the season with Dobbs, Matt Stairs and Jenkins -- all left-handed hitters -- on the bench. Jenkins, 34, batted .246 with nine homers and 29 RBIs last season and went from splitting time with Werth in right field to coming off the bench. A few highlights from our 9-minute conversation with Jenkins:

"Any time you get released, it's a surprise. But it's something that we talked about, and I don't know if I kind of foreshadowed this scenario happening, but I knew there were a lot of left-handed hitters. So, I knew someone would be the odd-man out at some point. It's real tough. I care a lot about those guys in the clubhouse, but we'll deal with this and try to find a new spot.

"I don't regret anything for one minute that I was here. I told Charlie that and Ruben, and they were both great to me. What's there to be mad about? I picked a great year to be here. Obviously, I wish things would've worked out better and I could be with them. But I don't regreat one minute. I wouldn't change a thing. Being with these guys, going through what we went through last year, was tremendous."

Jenkins said he has spoken to David Montgomery about attending the ring ceremony next Wednesday, but nothing has been determined.

Just a thought: As you may know, the Tigers shocked everyone by releasing Gary Sheffield this morning. Assuming he's willing to come off the bench and pinch-hit, Sheffield would be the right-handed power bat the Phillies need. He also would only cost the Phillies $400,000 (the major-league minimum). He's gotten only 34 pinch-hit at-bats in his long career and is 9-for-34 (.360) with one home run and 10 RBIs.

Hoping to hear from Ruben Amaro Jr. shortly, so stay tuned. We'll certainly ask about Sheff, so stay tuned here. And, obviously, we'll have full coverage in Wednesday's News Journal.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Good stuff Scott. It will be interesting to see what Ruben has to say. Looking forward to that.

Zach said...

Well we all knew that one of them had to go, but why didn't Amaro release Stairs instead? Stairs can't really play defense and he's only making $1M in 09.

Either way, it should be interesting to see if the Phillies pursue Sheffield or perhaps even have a trade in the works.

Udefense said...

First, Miguel Cairo took out Richie Sexson in Seattle last season. Now, Cairo takes out Geoff Jenkins in Philly this season. If I was Jeromy Burnitz, I would strongly consider changing the locks.

Of course, if I was Jeromy Burnitz, I would also strongly consider spelling my name correctly. Everybody knows that is no way to spell 'Burnitz.'

Anonymous said...

Matt Stairs blows donkeys!!! He isn't half the player that Jenkins is. He is a DH playing in the NL. How does that work? Hated him last year and hate him even more now!