Monday, March 02, 2009

Mar. 2 -- LIDGE, WERTH & THE DRIVE FOR NO. 5

BY SCOTT LAUBER

Two doubles for Raul Ibanez, two more RBIs for John Mayberry Jr., and a 12-7 Phillies win over the Jays today in Dunedin. Phils are off tomorrow, so I'll post some impressions from the first three weeks of camp. Meantime, we have these updates today from Chuck Gormley:

--Brad Lidge, who has reported some tightness in his forearm, threw in the bullpen today. He will have another bullpen session and likely throw batting practice before pitching in a game, probably next week. Lidge said he'd like to get into 10 spring-training games before the season-opener, but keep in mind, he missed all of the Grapefruit League schedule and pitched in only a couple minor-league games last season. And we all know how that turned out (48-for-48). "It went really good," Lidge said of today's bullpen session. "I felt for the first time this spring like I have a fighting chance at getting somebody out. Before I was wondering how I was going to do it. The tightness is pretty typical for me coming into spring training. I'm trying to throw in Colorado, but I can't get a ton of work in there. Then we come here and I'm throwing a lot. I go through a phase where I have tightness and stiffness and deadness and all the above."

--In his first spring-training action, Jayson Werth went 0-for-2 in the B game.

--Also in the B game, Jamie Moyer threw three scoreless innings (57 pitches) and allowed two infield hits, striking out four. Joe Blanton followed by allowing five hits in four scoreless innings (59 pitches) with 4 Ks.

--Cole Hamels is still on target to pitch against Team Canada on Wednesday.

--J.A. Happ and Carlos Carrasco looked shaky in their second outings. Happ allowed two runs on three hits (one homer) in three innings, and Carrasco allowed five runs in three innings, including two homers.

All for now.

3 comments:

Andrew said...

I'm getting really excited about all this Mayberry action so far. I know there's always someone who excels in Spring Training and doesn't do much later on in the season, but what do you see his chances of being our right handed pinch hitter in 2009 are?

Anonymous said...

All these hits he's getting... Are they good solid hits or are they just finding the holes?

GM-Carson said...

Lidge and Werth will be fine, still a month yet to go before Opening Night.

By the way, I'd like to swap links with your blog. Email me or drop a line on my blog if interested.