Monday, March 30, 2009

Mar. 30 -- GILES: 'I DIDN'T PLAY WELL ENOUGH'

BY SCOTT LAUBER

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- A few roster moves from the Phillies this morning:

Released: INF Marcus Giles
Optioned to triple-A: OF John Mayberry Jr., RHP Carlos Carrasco

Also, RHP Mike Koplove, OF Jason Ellison and INF Pablo Ozuna have been informed that they won't be making the team. They will, however, accompany the club to Philly this weekend for the exhibition games against the Rays.

We spoke to Giles a few minutes ago, and although he clearly was disappointed, he also saw this coming.

"I didn't play well enough to make it here," he said. "I didn't hit as well as I'm capable of. Don't blame them for their decision. I saw it coming the last week or so. I'll try to get on somewhere else. I just needed some consistent ABs. I got every chance in the world. It's not their fault. There's nobody to blame but myself. I'd probably make the same decision they did, to be honest with you."

The Phillies didn't give Giles the option to go to Lehigh Valley, although Giles said he likely would've turned down that opportunity because of the logjam of middle infielders bound for triple-A (Jason Donald, Ozuna, possibly Brad Harman and several others are slated to play there.)

"I need consistent ABs, 50, 60 at-bats in a row, to make it back to this level, and I just didn't get it done," he said. "I thank the Phillies for the opportunity to prove myself, and unfortunately, I didn't. There's no finger-pointing except this way. It's the truth. The truth hurts sometimes, but it's the truth. I didn't play well enough to make it."


***
In today's News Journal:
Preview Week continues with a look at the Pen Men, the Phillies' relievers who will be hard-pressed to duplicate their 2008 performance. Within the notebook, we talked to Jack Taschner, the newest member of that bullpen.

***
On tap today: Cole Hamels will start a minor-league game, presumably at 1 p.m. here at the Complex (though we haven't gotten a definite time or place). Phillies play the Astros here at Bright House, with RHP Chan Ho Park on the mound for his final Grapefruit League start. Here's the lineup:

SS Jimmy Rollins
2B Chase Utley
RF Jayson Werth
1B Ryan Howard
LF Raul Ibanez
CF Shane Victorino
3B Eric Bruntlett
C Carlos Ruiz
RHP Chan Ho Park

More from Giles in tomorrow's News Journal. More on Philled In shortly.

(Updated, 9:08 a.m.): OK, quick roster check: There are 28 players left in camp, including non-roster RHP Gary Majewski and INF Miguel Cairo and Rule 5 pick RHP Bobby Mosebach. My guess -- strictly a guess -- is that LHP J.A. Happ wins the No. 5 starter spot and opens the season in extended spring training because the Phillies don't need five starters immediately. Then, they can carry Cairo and take an extra week to 10 days to find a taker for either of their lefty-hitting reserve outfielders, Matt Stairs or Geoff Jenkins.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Side bar on J.A. Happ, why not bring him now? Have him as a long reliever to start. I would love to see Moyer start opening day then give the ball to Happ. It would be the last "go-round" for Moyer and it would be passing the torch to Happ.

Interesting they didnt keep Giles, I guess Feliz is healthy enough to start. If not you have Bruntlett or your best bat off the bench at third.

Lastly, Scott, do you think Giles got enough time to produce in camp?

Scott Lauber said...

Anon: The argument for leaving Happ in extended spring training is that the Phillies have three days off in the season's first eight days, so they won't need a No. 5 starter until April 20, at the latest. Why not use the roster spot to keep Cairo and buy yourself some extra time to make a move with Jenkins or Stairs?

I do think Giles got enough time. He just didn't produce. Simple as that.