Monday, March 23, 2009

Mar. 23 -- KENDRICK: "I'LL BE BACK"

BY SCOTT LAUBER

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- The rain has ceased. The game has started. And Kyle Kendrick spoke to us a few minutes ago. Some highlights:

On his reaction to the news: "At first, I was upset. But I know what I need to do. I need to go down there and work on my secondary pitches. And I'll be back. I didn't show my off-speed stuff early enough. It was a little erratic at times. It needs to get better. I need to get better. I'll go down there with a clear mind and get better, and I'll be back. It was hard to swallow at first, but I know if I go down there and do what I need to do, it's going to help."

On going to triple-A instead of to the Phillies' bullpen: "I think they see me, and I see myself, as a starter for my career. I'm not going to be a bullpen guy. So, if there's no room here, obviously, I'll go to triple-A. I'll go down there and work on those pitches and come back."

On winning 21 games in the majors over the past two seasons with essentially one pitch: "When I came up, I was a one-pitch pitcher. The slider was OK. But I was mainly a one-pitch pitcher. I think the league figured that out. I've tried to develop my changeup. It took a little longer than what I liked, what they liked. So, I'll work on those pitches. In the minors, it's more about development instead of numbers. One thing I need to do is go down there and not pitch how I've been pitching with just my sinker. I need to go down there and develop my changeup, develop my curve, develop my slider, and not just trying to get back here. If I go down there and throw my changeup and it gets hit for a home run, I need to throw it again, not worry about my numbers. I need to worry about what I need to do."

On whether a trip to the minors can do for him what it did for Brett Myers last year: "Definitely. I've heard stories about guys going down and coming back up. Guys take a step backward. Look at Jamie's [Moyer] career. I know what I need to do. That's the good thing."

On whether he thought this might be coming: "I'm not going to lie. I knew they [J.A. Happ and Chan Ho Park] were pitching good, and I had a couple games where I didn't pitch good. I knew what I needed to do, and I didn't do well, obviously. Those guys pitched good. But I know what it's going to take to get me back here. I thought about my options, what could happen. All the options kind of crossed my mind."

More later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Could Kendrick be another Floyd? Good stuff but not ready for the spotlight in Philly and being sent down and back playing "Jedi" mind tricks? Look at Gavin now, a good two or three starter for the White Sox, wish we still had him!!