Monday, March 30, 2009

Mar. 30 -- HAMELS "DEFINITELY" NEEDS ONE MORE START

BY SCOTT LAUBER

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- So, just got back to the press box after watching Cole Hamels pitch against the Yankees' triple-A team on a back field at the Carpenter Complex. His line: 4 IP, 10 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, 64 pitches/44 strikes. But Hamels threw his curveball for the first time all spring -- and did so effectively. In the third inning, in fact, he struck out John Rodriguez on a particularly nasty hook.

Clearly, though, Hamels wasn't razor sharp (he did all 10 hits), and after he came off the field, he said he "definitely" needs one more start before he's ready to start a regular-season game. He'll get that start Saturday against the Rays in an exhibition at the Bank. But he also said he believes he'll be ready to start the season's fourth game, April 10 at Coors Field in Denver.

"I think that would be the best, just knowing I can go out there, hopefully go a little deeper and hopefully get past that fourth inning because pitching four innings in the big leagues doesn't mean much," Hamels said. "Just knowing I can go out there and really hit my spots is going to be the big key. It'll be good to have another start. I know that's going to help, big-time.

"[Pitching coach Rich] Dubee actually was impressed. I was impressed to, just because it was the first time throwing the curveball, to get so many swing and misses and just kind of know I can throw all three pitches at any time. Definitely trying to work on my location. That's what hurt me. I wasn't able to locate as well as I would've liked."

Asked if he's still on target for April 10, Hamels said, "Yeah, I definitely think so. That's going to be a big start for me, that exhibition game, to really prepare me for the season. That will really get me ready for going out and competing at the big-league level."

More in a bit.

No comments: