Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Mar. 24 -- HAMELS THROWS, FEELS FINE

BY SCOTT LAUBER

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- So, I know you've been
tracking this all day over on Twitter (and muchas gracias to everyone who is following me there), but I wanted to make sure we keep Philled In updated as well:

Cole Hamels threw 48 pitches (35 strikes) in 3-2/3 scoreless innings against a group of Pirates minor leaguers. He allowed one hit, walked one and struck out five. Most important, though, Hamels said afterward that he didn't feel any stiffness between innings. That's significant because it means the anti-inflammatory injection he received last Tuesday in Philly has taken effect. Before the shot, Hamels said he had trouble bending his arm at the elbow and raising it high enough to touch his shoulder.

"It felt good just because the fact of getting into competition," Hamels said. "It's just trying to establish feeling each pitch, one at a time, inning-by-inning. It was more about how I was going to feel between innings, and I felt great. Nothing stiffened up. To go out here and throw about 50 pitches, I think I did pretty well.


"I think now I can really focus on getting ready for the season. You have to get out there. You have to get your reps in. Now, mentally, I know I'm good to go. It's a good feeling to move it around. So, just kind of going with that, I know I'm going to feel good tomorrow. I tried to up it from what I did in the bullpen, and it felt good."

So, what's next?

Hamels is scheduled to pitch Sunday at Bright House against the Red Sox. If that goes well, he'll face the Rays in one of the exhibition games next weekend at the Bank. He won't be able to start the season-opener April 5, but he likely will start during the season's first week, possibly April 10 at Coors Field against the Rockies.

There was a large contingent of minor leaguers gathered around Mike Schmidt Field to watch Hamels. Assistant GM Chuck LaMar was there, and although he declined to comment, he passed along a report to Ruben Amaro Jr.. Talked to Hamels after he threw today, and he said he began to tire in the fourth inning. It showed. Here's an inning-by-inning breakdown of Hamels' start:

First inning: 0 runs, 0 hits, 0 walks, 0 strikeouts, 7 pitches, 6 strikes
Second inning: 0 runs, 1 hit, 0 walks, 2 strikeouts, 13 pitches, 11 strikes
Third inning: 0 runs, 0 hits, 0 walks, 2 strikeouts, 12 pitches, 10 strikes
Fourth inning: 0 runs, 0 hits, 1 walk, 1 strikeout, 16 pitches, 8 strikes

***
In other minor-league action, Joe Blanton allowed one run on six hits, didn't walk a batter, struck out five and threw about 95 pitches in seven innings. J.C. Romero struck out three and threw 14 of 17 pitches for strikes in two hitless innings.

***
According to our spies in nearby Dunedin, Chan Ho Park allowed three runs on four hits, walked one and struck out seven in four innings against the Blue Jays.

More shortly.

No comments: