Monday, March 16, 2009

Mar. 16 -- HAMELS SPEAKS

BY SCOTT LAUBER

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- Must dart over to Tampa for a 1:15 p.m. game against the Yankees, but Cole Hamels addressed reporters a few minutes ago here at Bright House Field. A few highlights:

-Hamels described this whole thing as "not a big deal." He said he feels this same soreness, or tightness, every year during spring training. Usually, though, it lasts only about 1-2 weeks. This year, it's lingering, which is why he wants to see team physician Dr. Michael Ciccotti. Hamels says the decision to go back to Philly was made this morning, although it has been discussed for a few weeks.

"I think I am fine," Hamels said. "I don't think I have anything serious. It's just that inflammation I have that I haven't been able to get out of my body."

-Hamels has been taking anti-inflammatory medication for a few weeks. He said it's possible Ciccotti will recommend that he get a cortisone shot, which may ease the situation. "Not necessarily the worst-case, but maybe the best-case, is I may get a shot," Hamels said. "I think that probably will help."

-Unlike two years ago when an elbow strain sidelined Hamels for a month, he doesn't feel any serious pain. Even when he plays catch, he said he's pain-free. Today, in fact, Hamels did long-toss and took fielding practice with the other pitchers. He said the issue merely is tightness that he feels between innings and after he throws.

More in a bit from Tampa.

4 comments:

GM-Carson said...

Regardless of Hamels, the doctor, or Amaro says...this is very worrisome!

Anonymous said...

I say he is done by June, out for the year with an elbow injury.
Not good news for the Phils.

Anonymous said...

Since when do athletes tell the truth? Too much bending the elbow on the bar, Cole baby???

Anonymous said...

Real baseball news to start in 19 days!